Reversed time line in TimeLineGraph

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Hello, I'm using the WPF graphing control to display some clinical data. I wonder if there is any way to reverse the time line in a TimeLineGraph. I.e., the X-axis will go from the latest to the earliest timewise.

Thanks,

Hong

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM

hi Hong

I suggest that you refer to the Displaying Graphs and Tables guidance document before deviating from the approach followed in the Graphing control (http://www.mscui.net/DesignGuide/TablesGraphsDisplay.aspx). The guidance document highlights the recommended approach and provides patient safety related rationale for the control design.

The Timeline View guidance document (http://www.mscui.net/DesignGuide/TimelineView.aspx) may also be of interest. A control based on this guidance is ready for release early this year.

Regards

Tom Chapman

MSCUI Release Manager

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the information. I'm writing a client application that displays data retrieved from a system clinicians use in hospitals. In that system, they have the option to reverse the time frame therefore require the client to display the data in the reversed time line. When this global option is set, all the data displayed in the client will be in reversed time line so I do not need to worry about inconsistency among various graphs.

I managed to add a “reverse” option to both the GraphHost and the TimeGraphBase to reverse the start / end points, the X-axis, the code to determine the last data points (in reverse, the earliest data points) and put them into view when the time frequency selection changes. The changes seem to work OK.

Now I have another obstacle: I need to display multiple graphs together in one panel, i.e., multiple data series in the same graph area. I wonder if you have any suggestions on how I can do this using the CUI graphing control?

By the way, the timeline view looks great. I can’t wait to try this control out. Currently we are displaying the medications in a data grid. I’m sure a visual timeline view will be very welcome by our users. Do you know about what time this control will be released?

Thanks again,

Hong

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM

hi Hong

If you look at the Showcase Demonstrator on MSCUI.NET you will see an early design exploration featuring a graph with multiple axes and data series. This was designed as an early proof of concept, however, following detailed analysis and patient safety based research with clinicians this approach was deemed unsafe for the display of clinical information so was not introduced into the guidance or control. So, our advice would be to avoid this grouping of data into a single graph for presenting medical data.

The Timeline control does present some alternative implementations of the graph host which I am sure will be of interest to you. This is due for realse in late February.

In the meantime, best of luck with your work.

Regards

Tom

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your response.

I understand that overlaying multiple data series on one graph does not make sense in most of the time. But this option has always been in our software and our customers have been using this feature (though I don’t know how often) to display e.g. vital sign data.

I spent the past two weeks making it work as follows:

1. GraphBase can have an optional list of component graphs (of type GraphBase). A component graph is a plot of a data series on a graph. It has its own DataContext of graph points and data marker / interpolation line templates / settings.
  2. The start / end axis dates of a graph is determined by its own graph data and all of its component graph data.
  3. When a graph is drawn, it will also call the drawing method on its component graphs to draw their data series.
  4. Re-style the data selector item template of the GraphHost to show individual plot titles as a list under the graph title. You can show / hide individual plots as well as individual graphs.
  5. Update the code to figure out whether or not the visual focus line intersects with each data series plotted in one graph.

I want to thank your team for making the source code available and allowing us to derive our own work from it.

Hong

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM

You are welcome Hong. I'll pass on your thanks to the team - its alway nice to know people out there appreciate the work.

The best of luck.

Regards

Tom

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Hi Hong,
It's been a long time this thread is inactive.I got into a same situation , i have to display multiple data series in the same graph area. As MSCUI toolkit is excellent butl doesn't have any option for doing this. I need your help , what you exactly did with there control to achieve the goal.

Thanks

Muhammad Shafeeq