Name display

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Hi,

1. What is the syntax for name display if we need to display all fields (first name, middle name, last name, title, suffix)?

2. MSCUI considers Dr, Proff, etc., as title and Jn, II as suffix, like this how can we treat the patient qualication (M.B.A., Ph. D.,) ?  

Regards

Packia Rajan

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

hi Packia Rajan

Your first question relates to patient identification. We are taking guidance ourselves from the NPSA re wristband guidance. “Patient Identifiers” or “Patient Identification” appear to be common descriptors. You can find morn information on this topic here: http://www.npsa.nhs.uk/nrls/alerts-and-directives/directives-guidance/patient-identification

With regard to patient qualifications, these are suffixes, (although Ph.d. would also be represented in the title as Dr)

I hope that helps, though if you have any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Tom Chapman

MSCUI Release Manager

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your update.. 

1. I understand, but there is no such details for the field order, if the patient has all name details like Given Name, Family name, Middle name, Title, Suffix,.

2. I agree that the Ph.d would also be represented in the titlte as Dr. For displaying the name for Mr.Smith John, Jr, M.B.A. Which will be considered as Suffix ? Jr or M.B.A ?

Regards

Packia Rajan

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM

hi Packia Rajan

We are working on this topic at present so may not have final answers, but here is some more information.

1. Where all patient identifiers can be populated, the following Guideline may assist you:

"NID-0048 InForm field controls (where they exist) must be placed underneath each other in the following order:
- Title
- Last Name
- First Name
- Middle name(s)
- Suffix
- Known as"

2. Guidance states the following regarding use of Suffix:

“In most cases, the suffix is not needed as it does not serve as a primary means of identifying or addressing the patient and can quickly become too long, taking up valuable space in locations such
as the banner (for example, Rt Hon. John Doe, K.G., K.B.E., M.B., B.Chir)."

We are proposing the inclusion of the following wording in the next version of guidance:

"The inclusion of such unnecessary data on screen only serves to distract from the important data there. However, there are times when the use of a suffix is important:
- When relevant for patient identification (for example, ‘Jnr’ or ‘the third (III)’)
- When related to the correct, formal way to set out a name (for example, in a letter)"

Although a minimal requirement, this demonstrates a need for the optional use of a suffix. The presence of a check box to select a) “show on screen” or b) “use on letterhead” provides a user
with the ability to use where appropriate. The use of a suffix is primarily to distinguish one particular patient from another. The use of Jr is perhaps a good example of that where more than one patient exists with the same name. Where more than one suffix is required to extend that distinction it is for the clinician to exercise discretion on the data required. There is no existing guidance preventing the use of both Jr and M.B.A as per your example.

I hope this helps, but feel free to let me know if you have other questions.

Regards

Tom Chapman

MSCUI Release Manager