Overlaying multiple data series on a graph

May 18, 2009 at 11:44 AM

How do you overlay mutiple data series on a graph. Is this done with databinding or some property of the graph host and multiple graph instances?

Coordinator
May 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM

You cannot overlay data on an instance of a graph. We stack data in accordance with the guidance on MSCUI.

-Stuart.

May 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM

There is a section in the guidance documentaton "Section 6.2 Guidelines – Overlaying Multiple Graphs" (http://www.mscui.net/DesignGuide/Pdfs/Design%20Guidance%20--%20Displaying%20Graphs%20and%20Tables.pdf) where this is permissable in certain circumstances. Is this documentation out of date or has this feature just not been implemented. The grouped parallel graphs is a great feature, but I can also think of plenty of situations where overlaying series data is useful as well.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM

hi Roblester

Although we found examples of overlaid graphs being used in a clinical context, we also found evidence that it could be dangerous to do this. The section of the guidance document you have identified addresses situations where graphs are being overlaid in an attempt to mitigate potential patient safety hazards.

I suggest that you follow the guidance as closely as possible and take special care if you are overlaying graphs. I hope his helps.

Regards

Tom Chapman

MSCUI Release Manager

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I would like to be able to combine blood pressure (bar graph) with pulse rate (line graph), as is described in the design guidance documentation that roblester refers to. I understand that that is not possible?