Using MSCUI.msi with VS 2008

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM
Can I use this toolkit with VS 2008 Express, or I have to use VS 2008 Standard or Professional?
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM
We have only tested on Professional and VSTS, but I would be interested to know your experience on Express because I think it should be fine.
-Stuart.
Mar 23, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I use Visual C# 2008 Express SP1, but some projects can't be loaded:

Microsoft.Cui.Controls, Microsoft.Cui.Data, Microsoft.Cui.IsvDataProvider, Microsoft.Cui.Roadmap, Microsoft.Cui.SamplePages,

Microsoft.Cui.SampleWebsite, Microsoft.Cui.ShowcaseControls, NhsCui.Toolkit.Test, NhsCui.Toolkit.Web.ClientTest,

NhsCui.Toolkit.Web.Test, NhsCui.Toolkit.WinForms.Test, Solution Items, Tests

I have installed Silverlight runtime and Silverlight Toolkit, and I even try using Web Developer, still some things can't be loaded.

What's wrong?

Developer
Mar 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Hello

I just tried this and found it does work however some user intervention is required.

Our solution contains several different project types but the Visual Studio Express Editions only support specific project types.

Open Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition to see our Silverlight and ASP.NET controls and samples.

Open Visual C# 2008 Express Edition to see our WPF and WinForm controls and samples.

Below are the steps to follow for each application.

Please try again and let me know how it goes.

Regards
Ben

• Open solution in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition
  • Receive errors for solution folders, test projects and WPF projects
  • All Silverlight and other .NET projects load successfully
  • Solution will not build
     => Fix by right clicking on "Microsoft.Cui.SampleWinForm" and choosing "Unload Project"
  • Microsoft.Cui.SampleWebsite runs successfully

• Open solution in Visual C# 2008 Express Edition
  • Receive errors for solution folders, test projects, web projects and Silverlight projects
  • All WPF and other .NET projects load successfully
  • Right click on "Microsoft.Cui.SampleWinForm" and choose "Reload Project" (to undo the "fix" required for Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition)
  • Right click on "Microsoft.Cui.SampleWinForm" and choose "Set as StartUp Project"
  • Microsoft.Cui.SampleWinForm runs successfully

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I would like to see the graphing control on WPF.

If I open Microsoft.Cui.SampleWinForm>WPFControls>GraphingSamplePage.xaml

But it says "File contains the error, and must be included in a revised design tools. Please correct the errors, and then re-loading design tools."

Could I open wrong file? Which one should I open?

Developer
Mar 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Hello

Yes the designer in Visual C# 2008 Express Edition does report an error "StaticResource reference 'Square' was not found." when viewing GraphingSamplePage.xaml.

I have found a workaround for you involving the following steps:

1. Open the file Microsoft.Cui.SampleWinForm > App.xaml
2. Copy the code from line 13 to line 288
3. Open GraphingSamplePage.xaml
4. Paste the code after line 7. It should appear after "<Grid.Resources>" and before "<local:FilteredCollection x:Key="Patient1TemperatureData">"
5. Press Ctrl+h to open the Find and Replace window
6. Enter the text "ctl:" in the "Find what" field
7. Enter the text "local:" in the "Replace with" field
8. Make sure "Look in" is set to "Current Document"
9. Click on "Replace All", 34 occurrences should be replaced
10. Close the Find and Replace window
11. Reload the Design view

You should now be able to see the Graphing control in the designer.

Thank you for pointing this out. We are investigating if there are changes we can make to make this easier in a future release.

Regards
Ben

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:53 AM

I follow your tips, and I can run now. 

But, I would like to know:

1.Where is the data from if I use " ctl:"?

2.If I use "local", I can see the graph. If I want to design a field to input numerical, I only have to change "local:", right?

Developer
Apr 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Hello

"ctl:" and "local:" are prefixes for assemblies and namespaces defined on the page. For example, the "local:" prefix corresponds to:

xmlns:local="clr-namespace:Microsoft.Cui.Controls;assembly=Microsoft.Cui.WPFControls"

Data is bound to a graph by setting its DataContext property.

The first graph on the sample page has the following DataContext:

DataContext="{StaticResource Patient1TemperatureData}"

"Patient1TemperatureData" is a resource declared on the sample page, beginning with the line:

<local:FilteredCollection x:Key="Patient1TemperatureData">

For more information please see the "Usage Hints - Data Binding" section on http://www.mscui.net/Components/Graphing.aspx.

May I also suggest you download our latest Release 6.6.43.000.

We've made improvements to address the design time problems you encountered and have also improved data binding for the Graphing control.

Regards

Ben