Patient banner question

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Regarding the behavior of the drop-down zone - when I try this control (in Silverlight) the drop down expands but non-patient banner controls underneath the expansion are still visible.  Do I need to manually handle that?  Is there an event that I can use to detect when the expansion occurs? 
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM
When the PatientBanner zone two area is expanded, the PatientBanner control gets larger. By default it takes the space needed to ensure that the zone1 area does not truncate.
In our PatientBanner page on the www.mscui.net site we make sure that the content below the banner does not move by telling it to be positioned 85pixels from the top of the page regardless of how large the banner gets.

Guidance does not mention that the content below the Banner should not move when the Zone2 is expanded, but I believe that to be the preference based on user research. To do the same thing you should follow the pattern below.

<Grid>
    <PatientBanner Canvas.ZIndex=10 />
    <Grid  Canvas.ZIndex=5 x:Name="ContentBelowBanner" Margin="0,85">
            ....your other content  .....
    </Grid>
<Grid>

Here the banner will always expand over the top of the other content. The ZIndex will make sure it appears over the content below the banner, and the content below the banner will be anchored to its starting position. This would be my preference as it is simple.

You could expand upon this to set the anchor point via the margin of the ContentBelowBanner once the banner has been loaded and its height determined, or updated.

-Stuart.