This project is read-only.

Invisible patientbanner at run time

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:29 AM
Edited Nov 19, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I have a question re binding data to the patientbanner control. I have tried binding data from a datatable using the following syntax in the patientBanner page_load event as follows....

PatientBanner1.Address1 = dtPatientDetails.Rows(i).Item("pat_addr1").ToString

....but the patientbanner object does not appear on the web page at run time - its only visible during design time. I have double checked the data source is pulling through data using a standard web control. I am using visual studio 2005 vb. I also double checked some of the other CUI controls i added to the vs toolbox worked with respect to databinding and they seemed ok its just the patientbanner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Managed to resolve this problem..

It turns out that the patientbanner style attribute 'visibility' is set to'hidden' by default at run time. Not sure why this was done but having tried to override this attribute both via the source code and programmtically, the way around it is actually very simple! In design time, if you right click on the patientbanner object and open the 'style' option from the menu, then in the layout section set the visibility to 'visible' this will overide the default 'hidden' attribute.

I have to say i was a bit confused as to why it has been set to hidden as default (im sure there is a good reason) but it may be worth reviewing this, possibly off-setting hours of confusion! On a positive thanks MS for an excellent looking banner!

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM
We created this as hidden by default because the Patient Banner has support for auto ellipses, which are based on the screen resolution and the font size. This needs to be calculated when the banner arrives at the client machine. To stop the control from having a flicker at startup, it is set to hidden, and then once it is initialised the visiblity is set to visible. Thanks for the feedback. I will create a documentation bug, and hopefully fix this in the docs at a point in the future.