Visual Studio toolbox

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM
After installing the NHS CUI toolkit and building the source and working through the sample I wanted to try using the controls in a new C# web application.
I looked in the toolbox and found no tools.
Did I do something wrong in the installation?
Where do I import the controls from?
Regards, Major.
p.s. Major is my Christian name :-)
Oct 27, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Managed to download the latest version and went through the controls import and managed part of it.

Got the following errors
There was an error loading types from assembly Microsoft.Cui.Controls.dll
Could not load file or assembly 'System.Windows, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' or one of its dependencies.
The system cannot find the file specified.

and

There are no components in Microsoft.Cui.WPFControls.dll that can be placed on the toolbox.

Regards, Major.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:38 AM
Thanks for the query Major.  We're looking into it and will get back to you soon.

Mike
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:45 AM
Hi Major

Regarding the error you saw, could you let us know what OS and Visual Studio version number you are using please?

As far as the toolbox functionality is concerned, we have found that most of our customers are reusing the controls as source, rather than binaries, so the toolbox integration isn't adding a great deal of value. As a result, for some of the newer, WPF controls, we are shipping them without toolbox integration. We welcome any feedback in this area - if this causes big issues for people we will consider adding toolbox integration in a later release.

Regards, Jim
Oct 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM
Visual Studio 2008 9.0.30729.1 SP
.Net 3.5 SP1
XP Professional SP3

Regards, Major.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:34 AM
Hi Major

I think the error you are seeing could be a result of not having Silverlight installed. The best approach would be to install the SDK, rather than just the runtime. The best place to start is http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/.

As far as toolbox functionality is concerned, you can of course manually add the controls to the toolbox. However, obtaining a fully-functional control by simply dragging-and-dropping from the toolbox onto the design surface is not one of our core scenarios. So there will still be some code to write to bind the control to your data sources and apply the relevant visual styles.

Regards, Jim
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Jim, I confirm that I have Silverlight 2.0.31005.0 and Silverlight Developer Package 2.0.31005.0 installed.
Regards, Major.
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Hi Major

Apologies for the long delay in responding.

Do you have access to another machine that you can try this out on to see if the error is reproducible?
Dec 3, 2008 at 3:17 AM
My problem is similar and I am running on Vista SP1 fully patched with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 also SP1. See my issue: search VS 2008  project type is not supported by this installation.
Larry
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM
Hi Major,
I just follwed these instructions and verified for 1.2 release on VS 2008. Did you do this?
-Stuart.

Registering the CUI Controls Toolkit Web Controls in the Visual Studio Toolbox

If you are using Visual Studio, you need to register the CUI Controls Toolkit Web controls in the Visual Studio Toolbox before you use them for the first time.

<dir><dir>

1. In Visual Studio, open the Visual Studio Toolbox.

Note: You must have a solution or project open in Visual Studio to view the Visual Studio Toolbox.

You must have a solution or project open in Visual Studio to view the Visual Studio Toolbox.

2. Right-click in the Visual Studio Toolbox and select Add Tab.

3. When prompted, give your new tab a meaningful name.

4. Inside your new tab, right-click and select Choose Items.

</dir></dir>

The Choose Toolbox Items dialog box appears.

<dir><dir>

5. In the Choose Toolbox Items dialog box, click Browse and select NhsCui.Toolkit.Web.dll from Installation location\Toolkit.

6. Click Open.

7. When the Choose Toolbox Items dialog box reappears, click OK.

You should now be able to see the CUI Controls Toolkit Web controls in your Visual Studio Toolbox.

</dir></dir>

Tip: You can use a similar process to register the Microsoft<sup>® Ajax and CUI WinForm controls.</sup>

You can use a similar process to register the Microsoft
May 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Hi Stuartri,

I also have the same issue as larry. So can you please help in resolving this. so that we can move further. I am using Windows XP and Visual studio 2008during which i got this error. But when i am using Visual Studio 2010, i am getting some other errors for some obsolete methods in 2010. Can you please help me in resolving these issues.

Thank you for the help in advance.

D