Display of Patient Name in Data Grids

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Can anyone advise if there is any guidance on displaying patient name in data grids? The new guideline released on graphs and tables does not go into this kind of detail, and the Patient Name Input and Display guideline does not mention data grids. Basically I wanted to check if separating the components of a name is acceptable as all guidance I can find so far calls for the name to always be displayed as SURNAME, Forename (Title).
Thanks,
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:30 AM
Thanks for your interest in MSCUI.  Our user experience team is currently looking into your query and we will get back to you soon.
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Thanks for both your interest and your patience!  You are correct that the Guidance for Patient Name Input and Display does not go into the use of the data in grids. We understand that it may be useful to explore how to display names in data grids, however we don’t currently have any work planned specifically in this area. In the absence of specific CUI guidance on this, I think that if you had separate component parts of the patient name in a data grid, but respected the order of presentation (e.g. FAMILY NAME first, etc) and they were visually presented adjacent to each other then it would fit with the spirit of the original guidance. But to give you a more confident answer, could you show us what you mean?

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Hi there,
Yes that is what we have gone with in our grids. I am afraid I can't really show you anything much just now, but thanks for your advice!

Katy