MSCUI & Silverlight

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:54 AM
Hi there,

We are building a simliar application as Patient Journey Demonstrator using MSCUI & Silverlight and I am a newbie to both Silverlight and MSCUI. We are looking into having the newly built application launched an external application via a trigger and is hoping that there will be some means  of  'Freezing' newly built application while the users continue to toggle around the external application. The newly built application should 'unfreeze' upon termination of the external applications.

Would greatly appreciates if you can advise with as much details as possible if the above is possible with MSCUI and Silverlight.

Thanks a million! :)
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2008 at 2:16 PM
Hello

Thanks for your interest in MSCUI.  I have asked one of our developers to reply to you - he will get to this within the next few days.

Thanks

Mike
Jul 24, 2008 at 2:41 PM
Hello,

Thanks alot! :) I will watch out for his/her reply.
Developer
Jul 25, 2008 at 10:04 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

If you are launching the application from a HTML page, you can always use the DOM call window.showModalDialog. 

This will open a new, modal, window preventing the user from interacting with the launch window whilst the new window remains open.

You can read about this command here...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536759.aspx

HTH,
Martin 
Developer
Jul 25, 2008 at 10:05 AM
Also, for general Silverlight development questions, we have a great forum over at www.silverlight.net.

The guys there can handle all general progamming questions.
Jul 27, 2008 at 2:13 PM
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Understand that showModalDialog is actually launching another dialog that displays the specified HTML document. However, we are looking at launching a third party customised application that is not a html. Will it works to launch a customised application?

Thanks again!
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:14 AM
Hi,

Anyone replying to my last posting?

Tks.
Developer
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Hi there,

You question is more of a general Silverlight / browser question, so the best starting place to find these answers is on the general forums of www.silverlight.net.

I can say, however, that Silverlight operates in the same security sandbox as your web browser. So, if your 3rd party app, which I assume is installed on the user's system, is able to be launched from a web page on the internet (maybe via an ActiveX control) then you should be able to do it through Silverlight. The guys on silverlight.net are best placed to help you there, however.

Thanks,
Martin
Aug 1, 2008 at 10:23 AM
Thanks alot Martin!  Will take your advice to check with guys on silverlight.net. :)