This project is read-only.

Patient Banner Extra Fields

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM
Hello,
I was trying to customize the Patient Banner to have Extra Fields along side the Gender, DOB, ID no. 

Was not really sure where to start, and was wondering if anyone has any information that might be helpful to me.

Thank you much,
Jun 18, 2008 at 3:44 PM

To answer your specific question, the Guidance published on http://mscui.net is the available information.

Zone 1 is devoted to displaying important for patient identification. We would advise that additional information only be added if it directly supported this task.  What items are you proposing to add? 

A word of caution: in some cases the banner may look like it has a lot of white space. However, a clinical applcation must also cater for long patient names, and for the range of small and low-resolution monitors still in use.

We do not therefore, support modifications to Zone 1, but have provided two sections in Zone 2, which you can instead use for displaying the additional information.

Hope this helps.

Aug 6, 2008 at 8:57 AM
Alternatively, you can modify the source to support whatever feature you like - you then have to support migrating those changes as the CUI toolkit progresses - Caveat Developer.

We're actually doing just that to allow us to add a few (very limited) extra fields in the Zone 1 section - specifically, we have an patient identifier we need to display and may NOT have an NHS number recorded.

We thought long and hard about this along with a few other changes - but only following consultation with the MS CUI team. Our needs are quite unusual in that our product spans both Health and Social Care, and so our needs build on the clinical guidance. If anyone's interested, I'll post about the changes needed to implement this.

But I also agree entirely with AshGupta about the guidance - the whole goal of the CUI project is to help ensure patient safety - so making the UI "busier" is NOT what you want to be doing.

My 2c and your mileage may vary

Joel
Aug 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM
Thanks,
JoelHT  I would def. like to know about how to create these customizations.

Thanks,