Mar 4, 2008 at 5:52 PM
1. Went to HIMSS
2. Found the MSCUI booth
3. Downloaded the MSI with Code.
4. Updated all projects to .net 3.5
5. running VS 2008 (release)

Now getting the following errors:
'---------------------example (1 of 16) ----------
Error 1 Warning as Error: 'System.Web.Script.Serialization.JavaScriptSerializer.JavaScriptSerializer()' is obsolete: 'The recommended alternative is System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractJsonSerializer.' M:\Cui.Toolkit\Source\Solutions\Main\NhsCui.Toolkit.Web\NameInputBoxControl\NameInputBoxExtender.cs 73 44 NhsCui.Toolkit.Web
'---------------------------------------------------

Problem: Cannot find any documentation and/or information of System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractJsonSerializer.

It does not exist in the System.Runtime.Serialization dll.

So which reference do I need to load??

Thanks,

Ed Warren.
Developer
Mar 5, 2008 at 9:54 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2008 at 9:58 AM
Hello

The complete reference is System.Runtime.Serialization.Json.DataContractJsonSerializer and here's the MSDN page:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.serialization.json.datacontractjsonserializer.aspx

Implementing this change requires rewriting parts of our code such as the NhsTimeJavascriptConverter. The current codebase targets .NET 2.0 and the class we are using has been deprecated in .NET 3.5.

There are two possible workarounds, requiring you to modify the project Build properties on both NhsCui.Toolkit.Web and NhsCui.ToolkitPreview.Web.

1) Under "Errors and Warnings" add "618" to "Suppress warnings". Note this will hide warnings about any obsolete reference.

or

2) Under "Treat warnings as errors", change the selection to "None".

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Regards
Ben
Mar 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Digging into the DataContractJsonSerializer was interesting, but quickly got over my head, not providing an 'empty' constructor, so I'm going to go back and try to get the .net 2.0 version of MSCUI to work, with VS 2008. Right now I'm having difficulity with all the changes out there between the different versions of Vs2008, .net3.5 versions, and older .net versions. I find references to assemblies that no longer work. Will let you know of my success, failure. Again thanks for the quick response. I think I recall an earlier post about addons for Vs2008 for .net 2.0, which may help solve the issue.

Again, thanks for your help. I'm very excited to get an application up and running using these controls, they will greatly help with some of my development.

Ed Warren
Mar 5, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Going back to .net version 2.0 and installing the following two packages worked, at least now the MSCUI solultion compiles and runs without complaint.

ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi
ASPNETAJAXVS2008.msi

Sorry, I don't have the url handy but both are available from MS download site.
the first is the basic Ajax package, the second updates vs2008 to work with .net 2.0 ajax controls.

Hope this helps somone

Ed Warren.
Developer
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:22 AM
Both are available here http://www.asp.net/ajax/downloads/

The second MSI is the "ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Project Templates for VS2008".

Regards
Ben