Addition to Documentation

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Ok so some times you can't see the wood for the trees. I've just spent the best part of 40 minutes trying to figure out why my patient banner was not displaying at runtime.

The code existed, but was basically showing the top level div for the control with a style:hidden value.

The solution, to put the ajaxToolKit scriptmanager on the page.

Now I'm not sure that all the controls require this control, but it might be useful to add which controls require the scriptmanager to be add, or explicitly explain that it is required control. I couldn't see this information within the help documentation.
Developer
Jan 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Hello, I assume from the nature of your problem that you are using Visual Studio 2008?

If you create a new ASP.NET Web Application and the target framework is the default of .NET 3.5, the project will automatically include a reference to System.Web.Extensions. This can lead to the problem you describe.

There is detailed information in this blog http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/07/30/using-vs-2008-to-target-asp-net-ajax-1-0.aspx

However Microsoft have recently released ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Project Templates for VS2008. The links are at the bottom of http://www.asp.net/ajax/downloads/

The new templates help a lot, as the AJAX 1.0 project behaves just as it did in VS2005 and pages automatically include the ScriptManager.

If you are not using VS2008, please let me know.

Regards
Ben
Jan 11, 2008 at 7:25 AM
No I'm actually using VS 2005, but the project is a previous ajax based project that i'm helping develop with a collegue. I'm unsure wether he had to add the ajax extensions manually to the project as he is relatively new to development in .net and didn't initially start the project as an ajax one.

Regards.
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM
Hi

You're right, even in VS2005 if you don't select a project type of ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site then the ScriptManager element is not automatically included in each page.

Jim