Address Input Control: Postcode Lookup Software

Nov 22, 2007 at 9:59 AM
We are currently in the process of specifying new controls for the NHS CUI Toolkit. One of these controls is an Address Input control that allows an address to be entered. This control has a postcode lookup facility that allows a postcode to be entered and the Address Input control’s fields updated with the results of the search. The control will not be supplied with a postcode lookup engine and will, instead, make use of any existing postcode lookup engine that is already included with the ISV’s product. With this in mind we would like to be aware of the postcode lookup engines that you are currently using, if any. We would be grateful if you would reply to this thread indicating what postcode software you are using.

Thanks.

Guy Smith-Ferrier
Technical Program Manager
NHS CUI Project
Microsoft Ltd.
Nov 29, 2007 at 2:48 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2007 at 2:55 PM
Currently at Southend Hospital we have one application written (currently) in ASP using http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/

We will be using it a .net 2.0 shortly.

Can I ask what the time frame you are looking at for the next release? Having notice a couple of issues (which have been tracked) i'm looking forward to incorporating them into our Clinical Document Management System, but can only do so with these issues fixed.

Thanks
Dec 4, 2007 at 8:39 AM
There will be a 5.0 release of the CUI Toolkit in early Jan, which contains a number of enhancements and fixes to the Patient Banner and Date and Time controls.

There will then be a 5.1 release later in March, which will contain a number of new controls for the Web covering the input of Name, Address, NHS Number, Sex, Gender, Email and Telephone.
Dec 4, 2007 at 9:42 PM
Make it pluggable! Many eyes are on this project, and it will be adapted in many countries, I predict...

Postcodes here in Canada are different - keep the framework easily adaptable.
Jan 16, 2008 at 6:57 AM
doctorg,

Yes, the architecture is pluggable. It is designed to allow ISVs to write a postcode provider and an address provider - extensibility is an excellent approach to improving adoptability.

Guy